Adderly Planatation was formerly a cotton plantation
that occupied all of the development of Stella Marais. What remains
are 7 buildings that are very much intact.
In approximately the 1790's the Adderly Plantation was formed
by British born, Abraham Adderly on 700 acres. Abraham turned
over the plantation to his son, William, and by 1820's the Adderly
Plantation consisted of 2,500 acres on Long Island. William grew
crops of cotton and livestock (cattle and sheep). It was an era
where horses were used for work and transport. William died in
1888 but not before selling the land a 1 shilling per acre to
Uriah Knowles. Uriah had a son Alonzo who helped the farm prosper.
The plantation would have been given to Alonzo upon Uriah's death
had it not been for Alonzo marrying a "dark skinned"
woman after Alonzo's first wife died. Instead, Uriah disowned
Alonzo and his other four children inherited the property. Hense,
the plantation ceased operation as the other children had no interest
in running the it. The 1927 hurricane turned the buildings into
rubble and what is left of the ruins.
Finally in the 1950's, German industrialist, Herbert Schnapka,
purchased major portions the Adderly plantation land and developed
"Stella Marais Estate" which be began construction in
1963. Ironically, decendants of the Germans married into the Adderly
family. So the Adderly family land continues....